Putting alignment training aids are smart investments, as any way to lower your total putts can help you card better numbers. While playing golf, one of the worst feelings is walking off the green on a hole and counting up the putts that you had, knowing your putter cost you a solid score. I personally hate looking at my scorecard after a round and realizing how many strokes I left on the green.
For anybody that knows they need to sure up their putting stroke, there’s a lot you can do when you aren’t actually playing a round of golf. If you’re struggling to read putts or you’re not able to consistently bring your putter through the strike path, you can check out a training aid to help you.
Check out the five highlighted below to upgrade your putting alignment better.
Putting Alignment Training Aids Buying Guide Tips
For researching which items can help you when you’re training to putt, you need to realize where you’re failing with the flat stick. Some people just misread putts a lot and aren’t great at looking at a green and realizing where there is a break and how it might slope.
Others may break their wrists at the end, allowing for the wrong amount of force to be applied to the ball as you strike it. Others have trouble constantly repeating the same putting stroke over and over again. Once you can identify which part of your game needs improving, you can choose the proper training aid.
There are training aids that will help you with your pace, which is especially helpful for people who struggle to reach the hole often or blow it by the hole frequently. Other aids will assist you in keeping the ball on a specific line and making sure you are striking the ball at the correct place on your putter. You’ll also be able to practice aiming for specific areas on lag putts or longer putts, which can propel you to two-putting easier and minimizing those nasty three-putts. Let us point out which aids can help for specific skills on the green.
What to Look for in a Putting Aid?
If you’re trying out a new putting stroke, you’ll know right away if it is the correct one for you. After practicing it a few times, you may get the results you want, but the most important aspect of your putting stroke is that you can repeat it. Some people are focused on their technique, and it works for them. Others want to let their instincts take over and feel natural. PGA pro Ian Poulter is a feel putter and doesn’t like to take up his time overthinking his approach.
“I like to read the putt, stand over the ball and then make the stroke,” said Poulter. “To my mind, if you are worrying about putting technique, then you are already eating too much time into the 40 seconds you’re given to hit the putt. So I think the more natural you keep it, the more relaxed you’ll be.”Ian Poulter
No matter what kind of putter you are, you need to be relaxed while you’re putting. As you are likely aware, you can do a ton of drills to help increase your chances of making putts. Doing putting drills like the leap frog drill for lag putts or the yardstick drill for squaring up your clubface can help minimize the number of putts during a round. But it will take more than just putting drills to become a better putter. Nobody is ever going to be perfect but improving each round is what makes golf more fun.
A putting aid should help you in a specific area of putting, such as reading a green or keeping the head alignment the right way. There’s a reason there are so many putting practice items on the market, as everybody needs to practice it to become better. Whether you’re using indoor mats or putting greens at your home, you will be able to get a better feel for your stroke the more you practice it. But with alignment training aids, you can use those on top of mats, greens, or the course itself.
Alignment aids do not need to be expensive, but they do need to be effective. Anybody can stick a tee into a putting green at a course and try and hit it. Coming away from using a putting aid should give you more information about what you’re doing wrong and how to fix it potentially. These aids can give you feedback in real-time, as well as showing you why a ball is missing its mark.
5 Best Putting Alignment Training Aids in 2021
1. PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer
- This training aid is designed to simulate the exact conditions of putting into a real hole on the green by it's ground-breaking parabolic curved design
- Each successful putt is returned the same distance it would have gone past the hole if it had missed - great feedback for getting the pace just right.
- Designed to return good putts and reject bad ones.
- Made from high quality, elastomer and translucent polycarbonate, PuttOUT folds and fits into your golf bag.
- Build repetition into your practice to improve your pace putting and to practice pressure putting.
This impressively unique training aid simulates what it is like to putt into a real hole. The parabolic curved design delivers the feedback that you’re looking for in real-time. The way it works is that you putt at the target, and every successful putt is returned the exact distance it would have gone past the hole if you had missed the hole. This will give you excellent practice on your pace. This will return good putts and reject bad ones, allowing you to try many different lengths of putts.
It is extremely sturdy and durable, thanks to the high-quality elastomer and polycarbonate it is constructed from. You can close or open the micro-target to help you practice the perfect putt or work on finding the right pace versus the wrong one. This will fold up compactly, so you can store it in your golf bag and use it any time you are out with your clubs. It’s something that you can repeatedly use to get down the repetition of your stroke. It also allows you not to have to chase balls down, thanks to the design.
2. EyeLine Golf Putting Alignment Mirror
- Create gates for precision training. Sweet spot training with the putter gate. Path gates. Stroke length. This training aid is small and compact in size and comes with a soft carry bag.
- Mirrored surface for instant feedback. See your eye position, head movement, putter face alignment.
- Practice Anywhere - At 12" x 6" the putting alignment mirror is perfect to use on your putting mat at home or on the course putting green to groove your putting stroke. This putting aid is small enough to easily fit into any golf bag and travel with you.
- Make More Putts - Practice the perfect putting setup using the putting mirrors alignment lines, guidelines and mirror face and will have the perfect starting line, face angle, and eye placement. This putting aid will help you practice the perfect putt every time
- PUTTER GATE SLOTS - Let you set up a gate of tees for the toe and heel of the putter to learn to swing and create 'sweet spot' contact in the center of the putter face. Comes with exclusive indoor putting posts to create gates indoors when you can’t insert tees.
Mirroring the same putting stroke over and over again has never been simpler. This will actually allow you to pinpoint the exact amount of force you need for a specific distance. You’ll be able to take a look at your club head’s angle and know exactly how to adjust it after you give it a try. This is a mirrored aid that you can look down at to better tinker with where you’re lined up and how you’re looking at your ball before you hit it. It’ll tell you if you’re inside the ball, on top of the line, or behind it. There are Putter Gate Slots where you can set up tees for the toe and heel of the putter to simulate the right spot for you to swing your club.
You’ll be able to create an accelerating stroke through the zone to have your putt reach the cup. It measures 12” x 6”, so it’s portable enough to keep in your bag and break out every time you need to practice on a green. The ball will sit easily in the slot and you can work on your alignment and adjustments from there. Repeatedly testing out different angles will show you how a slope works and what you need to do to get it to reach. Working on your pace is easy with this. It is a great tool for working on putts 15 feet and in. 2021 Masters Champion Hideki Matsuyami has used a version of this during practice rounds.
3. Pelz Golf Putting Tutor
- Designed to identify the putts you strike squarely and start rolling on-line
- Learn how much putts break simply by adjusting the aim of the putting tutor higher or lower until well struck putts Go in
- Improve green Reading
- Great for all skill levels
- Easy to Use
Created by renowned golf coach and New York Times best-selling author Dave Pelz, this tutor helps dive into the heart of his career research: aiding your short game. Pelz’s most notable pupil is six-time major winner and 2021 PGA Champion Phil Mickelson, known for his wizardry around the green. This aid will help you identify the putting line you should follow for each putt. It is a tutor where you place your ball on a specific spot and lines up where you’re trying to aim.
The flat back of the tutor allows you to square up your putter face to give you the best possibility of hitting a pure strike. There are six slots on the front side of the tutor that allow you to see where your putts may be going wrong. You’ll get two marbles to place in those slots, and your goal will be to try and start your putt out on a line that doesn’t hit them. This will let you know that you’re on line.
You can also improve your green reading by adjusting the tutor up and down to read slopes and breaks better. It’s a simple device that can provide you with a lot of feedback on how you’re hitting putts.
4. GoSports Align Putting Gates Practice Set
- ALIGN PUTTING GATES: New game changing golf training aids for mastering putts and shaving strokes off your game - Full set includes 3 premium brushed metal Putting Gates (2”, 3”, 4”) and canvas Carrying Case
- VISUAL TRAINING AID: Get your putts on the correct line every time - Use the gates as a visual path and get instant feedback - on line putts seamlessly roll through and off-line putts will miss or knock the gates
- THREE PACK: Includes 3 gate sizes for practicing varying putt lengths: 2” wide gate for 3-5ft putts, 3” wide gate for 6-10ft putts and 4” wide gate for 11-20ft putts - reinvent your putting practice routine
- ULTRA PORTABLE: Gates quickly assemble for putting practice on the green, at the office or any flat surface (carpet recommended) and disassemble for storage in the compact carrying case - Weighted gate feet also ensure they remain in place during practice
- Patent Pending
This is a simple set to utilize wherever you are practicing. You’ll love using these indoors or outdoors, so you can even get in some good practice during those rainy days. If you use practice greens or indoor putting mats, utilizing the putting gates will only enhance your training, as you can practice shorter and longer putts on those mats.
This set comes with a 2”, a 3”, and a 4” gate that allows you to putt through them to find the right line. It is also a great way to work through breaks on putting greens and read slope in a real way. If you’re sensing a bend in a putt, you can set up a gate where you believe it’s going to break and aim for that gate to get your putt heading down or up the slope.
They are made from brushed metal, and you can line them up in a straight line to provide yourself a visual training aid to lead you right into the cup. Using them separately, the 2” gate is ideal for 3’ to 5’ putts, the 3” gate is great for practicing 6’ to 10’ putts, and the 4” gate should be utilized for 11’ to 20’ putts.
It takes absolutely no time to assemble these, so you can even practice while you’re at the office. You will see the results happen in front of your eyes, as off-line putts will hit one of the gates or miss it entirely. You’ll be able to take that information and adjust what you’re doing wrong.
5. PuttOut Putting Mirror Trainer and Alignment Gate
- The PuttOUT Mirror helps you work on alignment and positioning while putting. With this pack you can setup all of the best putting drills.
- Set the width of the magnetic putter guides on the mirror to check your alignment and address position.
- Your putter is the most used club in the bag by improving your putting and reducing the number of putts per round you will dramatically improve your score.
- PuttOUT mirror comes with a stand-alone 2 inch putting gate allowing you to actively work on your strike path and target by having the putter pass through the guide.
- Mirror measures 9.5 x 7.9 x 0.20 inches with durable rubber casing with spikes on underside to keep in place without tees.
This combines a few different types of training aids in one set. It gives you the mirror training aspect that allows you to see where you’re lining up. Rather than tees, this uses magnetic putter guides to check your alignment and how you’re addressing the ball. The guides are adjustable, so you can set them up to hit an inward, outward, or straight path. It gives you practice without causing you to change your stroke. You can also stand up the mirror on its side to face you, allowing you to get a view of what your putter head is doing as you’re coming through the path.
The bundle also includes an alignment gate that is 2” in width. You can work on your strike path and have a visual aid to putt through. There are spikes on the bottom of the mirror, so you don’t need to use tees to keep it in place. This pairs perfectly with the Pressure Putt Trainer to help you hit the perfect putt. You can fit both the gate and the mirror in the included case and toss them in your bag.
Wrapping It Up and Heading to the Clubhouse
Being able to repeat your putting stroke consistently is one of the biggest issues players have. Having a putting alignment training aid and using it frequently during your practice is a proven way to become a better putter. You first need to identify where you struggle the most on the green and look for an aid that will help you tackle that problem. Your putter is your most used club throughout a round, so you must practice with it. If you use alignment aids, you’ll get to use it less each round and card better scores.