Have you ever been in a great groove on the golf course? Shot after shot seems to be effortless, and you think that you may even shoot your lowest score ever! Then disaster strikes with a pop-up thunderstorm and strong winds, which effectively ruins your round!
Playing any outdoor sport means that you’ll sometimes be subjected to uncomfortable elements like rain, wind, and chilly temperatures. A big part of being a high-level golfer is having the ability to play well in tough conditions. You have to ignore the elements as best you can so that you don’t lose focus on shooting your best score!
A huge key to being able to withstand nasty weather is to find the best golf jacket. The right golf jacket will keep you feeling warm and dry no matter how bad the conditions may get. If you are needing advice as to which golf jacket to buy, keep reading to check out our six favorites that are available on Amazon.
1. FootJoy HydroLite Rain Jacket (Best Overall Waterproof Golf Jacket)
FootJoy is one of the top brands in the world for golf gear and this rain jacket is no exception. It is seam-sealed, so you can keep water out even in the worst conditions.
Here are some of the other features of this jacket.
- Not all golf rain jackets are labeled as waterproof, but this one is. That should stop any concerns that you’ll get wet while golfing in the rain.
- This offers breathable protection and is constructed with advanced technology packed materials.
- It has built-in, four-way stretch, so you’ll be very comfortable and have a complete range of motion while you swing.
- It’s a lightweight jacket that features a scorecard pocket and a zipper closure.
- You can detach the arms to make yourself more comfortable to adapt to outdoor conditions.
- This jacket is quite expensive.
2. Outdoor Ventures Men’s Rain Jacket (Waterproof Golf Jacket with Best Value)
If you’re looking for a cost-effective jacket, then this choice from Outdoor Ventures is a smart one. This will keep you dry all day long, not just for short bursts at the beginning of a rainstorm.
Here are some other features.
- It is made from 100% nylon, so it’s super lightweight and easy to carry or wear.
- It has a casual and loose style, so you won’t feel restricted as you’re swinging your club.
- There is a stowaway hood and you can customize the look for when you need a hood or don’t need one.
- This is waterproof and breathable, so you won’t be soaked in either rain or sweat by the time your round is done.
- There are two inside pockets and two outside zippered pockets, allowing you to store balls, tees, or your scorecard with ease.
- It is offered in multiple colors and sizes.
- It is breathable to a point, but there is no armpit or back vent. So if it’s a really muggy day, you may sweat some from the jacket.
3. Callaway Men’s Golf Full Zip Long Sleeve Waffle Knit Fleece Jacket (Best Overall Golf Jacket for Colder Weather)
The mock collar and full zip design allow you to stay bundled during a winter round. The waffle knit design keeps cold air out.
- Made with thermal technology
- Waffle knit fabric
- Full zip
- Mock collar
- Not water-resistant
Take a look at all of its fantastic features.
- It’s made from 100% imported polyester, so it’s warmer than nylon.
- It features Opti-Therm technology, meaning the fabric is insulated and designed to withstand the cold while providing a layer of thermal comfort.
- It zips all the way up, allowing you to keep yourself as closed up as you want.
- The mock collar will go over your golf shirt, keeping you looking sharp while allowing you to stay warmer.
- The Opti-Dri technology also keeps you drier, as it wicks away moisture. If you happen to be sweating, this won’t retain the wetness and leave you cold.
- This is not a waterproof jacket, so it’s not great for rainy weather.
- This also doesn’t provide much in terms of stretch, so you may want to consider that when picking out the size you want.
4. London Fog Auburn Zip-Front Golf Jacket (Cold Weather Golf Jacket with Best Value)
You’ll like this water-resistant jacket because of its build and features. With the adjustable snap cuffs, you can control how tight you want them to be.
- Double-entry hand pockets
- Adjustable snap cuffs
- More lightweight than others
London Fog has been making outdoor clothing since the early 1920s. These folks know how to keep people warm, which is why their golf jacket is listed as the #1 best seller in the Men’s Cotton Lightweight Jackets category. This jacket has a stellar 4.6 rating with over 8,000 total reviews!
- Pockets on both the inside and the outside. This will help store your golf essentials like extra tees, gloves, or a couple of extra balls.
- Available in 32 colors that are stylish but not overly flashy. Looks good both on the course and at the office.
- The cuffs can be adjusted if they feel too tight.
- Washes easily in any washing machine.
- 75% of reviewers gave it a 5-star rating which is extremely impressive over so many total reviews.
- Lots of golfers rave about this jacket’s durability and say that it fits very well.
- A few people have said that this jacket is a bit too short. One person claimed that the color faded after washing it a few times.
5. PUMA Golf 2019 Men’s Rotation ¼ Zip (Best Overall Golf Windbreaker)
I golf a lot on the coast with lots of beach wind year-round, so I can attest to how important it is to have a good windbreaker in your bag. This windbreaker from PUMA does an excellent job of keeping you comfortable even in extreme winds.
I golf a lot on the coast with lots of beach wind year-round, so I can attest to how important it is to have a good windbreaker in your bag. This windbreaker from PUMA does an excellent job of keeping you comfortable even in extreme winds. Also, it is appealing to some folks to get to wear the same brand as the 2020 U.S. Open champion Bryson DeChambeau! PUMA also sponsors PGA Tour fan favorite Rickie Fowler and his trademark orange golf clothing!
- Moisture Wicking Material – This windbreaker is made with Drycell Technology which helps immediately take sweat away from your skin. If you are a heavy sweater like me, you will appreciate this nice feature.
- Plenty of Room to Swing – PUMA has been making top-of-the-line golf apparel for 15 years now. They know that golf clothing must have plenty of room in the shoulders and chest area to not limit the swing. PUMA hit the sweet spot with this windbreaker because it leaves enough room in these critical areas but still doesn’t fit overly baggy
- 22 Brilliant Colors to Choose From.
- Limits Sun Exposure – Has a UPF rating of 40 which will protect you from a nasty sunburn.
- High Amazon Rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars with over 245 folks grading it.
- A couple of golfers have said that the sizes run big, so you may consider ordering a size smaller than normal. One reviewer said that the material is way too thin. However, windbreakers are supposed to be made of thin material.
6. Three Sixty Six Half Zip Golf Pullover (Golf Windbreaker with Best Value)
- Premium Comfort - Has a soft and light feel that all golfers will love. It holds up well in wind and light rain.
- Stretch Material - Golfers can take their normal swing without feeling bogged down or limited. The material is designed to fit snug but also bend and flex as you swing.
- Elastic Cuffs - Never underestimate the importance of cuffs when buying a windbreaker. The last thing you need is the sleeves moving up and down your wrists while you are in the middle of your backswing. The elastic material ensures that the cuffs will remain in place and won’t move during your swing.
- Side Zipper - A nice benefit for folks that don’t want a windbreaker that fits snug. If you feel that it fits too tight on your sides, you can adjust the side zipper for a looser fit.
- Breathes Well - The vent on the back of the windbreaker keeps you from getting overly hot. This is crucial to keep you feeling comfortable on the links.
If you are looking for a windbreaker similar to the PUMA one above but only about half the price, this one from Three Sixty Six could be your best choice. We know that this isn’t a well-known golf brand, but that’s why the price is lower. This windbreaker has a high rating and currently ranks as the sixth best seller in Amazon’s Men’s Golf Jackets category.
- Premium Comfort – Has a soft and light feel that all golfers will love. It holds up well in wind and light rain.
- Stretch Material – Golfers can take their normal swing without feeling bogged down or limited. The material is designed to fit snug but also bend and flex as you swing.
- Elastic Cuffs – Never underestimate the importance of cuffs when buying a windbreaker. The last thing you need is the sleeves moving up and down your wrists while you are in the middle of your backswing. The elastic material ensures that the cuffs will remain in place and won’t move during your swing.
- Side Zipper – A nice benefit for folks that don’t want a windbreaker that fits snug. If you feel that it fits too tight on your sides, you can adjust the side zipper for a looser fit.
- Breathes Well – The vent on the back of the windbreaker keeps you from getting overly hot. This is crucial to keep you feeling comfortable on the links.
- Highly Praised – 390 folks have rated this windbreaker, and its overall rating is 4.5 out of 5 stars!
- The only complaint listed from reviewers is that the sizes of this windbreaker run a bit small.
What things should I consider when buying a golf jacket?
You need a jacket that fits you well. Anything that feels too loose or too baggy can negatively affect your swing. Make sure that you can make a full and uninhibited swing while wearing it. Remember the saying of ‘feel good, play good’?
A quality golf jacket should keep you dry on the outside (by repelling the rain) and inside (by breathing well to limit sweating). No golfer wants to feel weighed down by soggy clothes on the course. I prefer the new dri-fit technology that many of the popular golf brands offer.
You want a golf jacket that will hold up for several years. This is not an item that you want to be buying every year. Make sure the jacket you choose is made of quality materials.
Make sure the price of the jacket fits your budget and your climate. It doesn’t make sense to spend lots of money on a cold-weather jacket if you only play in it a couple of times a year.
As an avid golfer, you know that bad weather is just part of the game. You never want your performance to suffer just because of less than perfect weather conditions. I prefer sunny and 75 degrees, just like everyone else.
However, I must admit that there is an extra special feeling of accomplishment when I’m still able to shoot a good score on a rainy day! Invest in a durable rain jacket, cold weather jacket, and windbreaker so that the next time mother nature strikes, you’ll still be ready to sink plenty of birdie putts!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?