If you are a golfer who also happens to watch late-night TV, you have probably seen dozens of various infomercials pitching golf products. They probably go something like this: Try XYZ product for 30 days, and if it does not take 3 strokes or more off your game, you can send it back for a full refund.
Beginner golfers probably think they have found the “golden” ticket to playing great golf, while seasoned golf veterans probably chuckle and say, “Yeah, Right!” Do any of these products offer any value to golfers? We will take a look at 9 of the most popular Golf Swing Trainers and Training Aids, as well as the pros and cons for each.
1. Orange Whip Golf Swing Trainer
This swing trainer improves the golfer’s club head speed, increases their flexibility level, and enables golfers to attain a repeatable rhythm and temp.
The Orange Whip is a highly rated swing trainer designed to help golfers of all skill levels really hone in their swing. The Orange Whip has been voted as the #1 golf training aid by various PGA and LPGA teaching professionals! This swing trainer improves the golfer’s club head speed, increases their flexibility level, and enables golfers to attain a repeatable rhythm and temp.
- Handmade in the USA with all USA-made parts
- Comes with a 2-year warranty, so the company stands behind its product, and you know it is built to last
- 47 inches in length and weighs nearly 2 pounds
- Makes a great warmup club before playing a round
- Increases club head speed
- Improves flexibility and agility
- Increases core muscle strength, especially in the obliques
- Gives instant swing feedback to pinpoint flaws such as releasing too early or too late
- The instant feedback is nice but does not tell the exact problem area of your swing
- Can be expensive depending on your budget
2. SuperSpeed Golf Training System
The Superspeed System is devised of 3 different clubs. Each club has a different weight, but the end goal is the same: Increased Swing Speed. If you want to start ripping your driver a good 20-30 yards further down the fairway, give this system a shot.
- Each set comes with 3 clubs
- The green club is 20% lighter than a driver
- The blue club is 10% lighter than a driver
- The red club is 5% HEAVIER than a driver
- Improves overall swing speed by at least 5%
- Trains the body’s fast-twitch muscle fibers to actually swing faster
- Does not require a huge time commitment to see improvements (only (3) 10-minute practice sessions per week)
- Builds strength in the hands, fingers, and wrists (especially the heavier red club)
- Package comes with loads of video teachings
- Can be considered expensive by many golfers
- Short product return window and no warranty mentioned
3. Golf Alignment Sticks
These sticks are designed to keep your shoulders properly aligned with your feet and hips, making it easier for you to get the ball to land closer to your target.
Alignment sticks have been around the game of golf for a long time. So much of a successful golf swing depends on a proper setup. Alignment sticks help give the golfer peace of mind by knowing that they are lined up correctly. Alignment sticks are simple, easy to use, and will improve your overall golf game. Nothing will help you hit straighter shots other than making sure you are aligned to your target correctly.
- The Shaun Webb Brand features a no-slip rubber tip on each tip to keep the alignment stick in place while training with it.
- Each alignment stick is 48-¼” inches in length and will fit pretty easily into any size golf bag.
- These alignment sticks are versatile because of their removable end caps. They can be used lying on the ground or stuck into the ground.
- Alignment sticks are low in overall cost, even with shipping included.
- Allows the golfer to improve his or her setup and body posture
- Can be used to improve your swing plane or putting alignment
- The manufacturer stands by this product and offers a 100% money-back guarantee if your overall score does not improve.
- Made out of fiberglass, which is extremely durable and should last for a long time.
- Some customers have complained that the video showing how to use the alignment sticks was not very informative. One person stated that the video did not show how to line up a putt properly.
4. Izzo Golf Flatball Training Aid
Designed to help golfers hit the ball more solidly and consistently. The flat design gives you instant feedback about how well you are really striking the ball.
The Izzo Golf Flatballs are designed to help the golfer hit the ball more solidly and consistently. Rookie golfers, and even seasoned veterans from time to time, struggle to hit a ball cleanly and often hit shots that are “bladed / too thin” or “chunked / too fat” (don’t you hate that bad vibration feeling after a badly chunked shot?). Because of their flat design, Flatballs give the golfer instant feedback about how well they are really striking the ball.
- Cost-effective solution to fix your swing plane
- The Golf Flatballs come in 6 to a pack
- Only ¼ inch high, which means you have to strike it perfectly to make it go anywhere
- This swing training aid is extremely inexpensive and affordable for any budget.
- Flatballs can be used either indoors or outdoors because they do not go that far after hitting them.
- Allows the golfer to gauge whether their swing is too steep or too shallow
- It is much more difficult to hit than a normal golf ball, leading to improved on-course performance when using a real golf ball. After training with Flatballs, hitting a normal golf ball will seem easy.
- Enjoy better ball striking after training with this product.
- Some advanced level players with low handicaps have said that the Flatballs can fly much further than advertised, so make sure you have plenty of space.
- Need to hit off real grass and not training mats to get the full effect.
5. Eyeline Golf Speed Trap 1.0
The Speed Trap is like an alignment tool and ball striking tool rolled into one training aid. It really helps a golfer improve their swing path and help eliminate the dreaded big slices (FORE! LOL) and duck hooks that plague all golfers from time to time. The Speed Trap also helps golfers who struggle with an out to in swing path.
- Base is made of polycarbonate, which should be durable
- Rods are velcroed onto the base so they will not go too far if hit
- The Speed Trap is light in weight as it is slightly less than 1 pound
- 18 inches long and 12 inches wide
- Helps the golfer hit ‘em longer and straighter due to better ball striking and a correct swing path.
- If you have a bad habit of slicing or hooking, you will notice immediately because you will hit one of the red speed rods that stick up.
- Improves ball striking because of the instant feedback if you happen to hit one too thin or too fat. In short, you will hit the base!
- Can be used with any club, including the putter and the driver.
- The Speed Trap has a fairly steep price tag.
- The durability has been questioned by a few folks who have bought it.
- May be able to get similar results with cheaper alignment sticks
6. Spornia SPG-7 Golf Practice Net
This is the best golf practice net I've found on the market today.
- It's 7'x9', large enough for full swings, indoors or outdoors
- It has an automatic ball return
- Durability is second-to-none
- Reasonably priced
Okay, we will admit it! We love this golf practice net! We listed it as our best overall pick for several reasons above but let’s dive into some of the notable features and some pros and cons about it.
- Automatic Ball Return – avoid the hassle of taking the time to dig out your ball.
- Quick and Easy Setup – Manufacturer claims only 30 seconds for each
- Chipping Baskets – this is a cool feature that helps you practice precise chipping
It is hard to argue with a 5-star rating on Amazon with 600 total reviews! The hitting area is made of a special patented material that helps minimize sound. That will keep you from disturbing your neighbors, haha! The frame carries a 1-year warranty, so that gives all buyers a little extra peace of mind. Part of the net is also adjustable, which means you can change it to accommodate what club you are hitting.
This practice net only comes in one size so if you would like a smaller net, this one is not for you.
7. Perfect Practice Perfect Putting Mat
This practice mat is designed to help golfers practice their putting whether at home, at work, or while traveling. We all know that putting is based on feel and feel cannot be established without the proper amount of practice. Perfect Practice offers this product in 3 different lengths (8 foot, 9.8 foot, and 15.6 foot). Obviously, if you want to work on longer-length putts, consider purchasing the 15.6-foot version of this mat.
- Endorsed by Future PGA Hall of Famer Dustin Johnson though I doubt it will make anyone drain 50-foot putts like him (LOL)
- Made out of a velvet material that is supposed to perform similar to a real putting green
- Includes an auto-ball returner that shoots the ball right back to you. This feature helps save a great deal of time since you do not have to chase your ball after each putt.
- Work on your putting stroke at any time and any location
- Includes a “train-track” training feature that helps promote a straight, smooth putting stroke. This leads to a reduced amount of “pushes” and “pulls” on the green
- Safe to use on any type of floor, including carpet, tile, wood, or even concrete.
- The material will hold up well so it can be vacuumed to remove dust and dirt
- Requires a hefty financial investment, even for the smaller sized mat
- The hole is not regulation size which can frustrate some golfers
- The velvet can wrinkle over time
8. Genuine Eyeline Golf Putting Alignment Mirror
Why do most golfers struggle with their putting? The most common reason is poor putting alignment. Another common reason for poor putting performance is either “pushing” or “pulling” the putter head. The putting alignment mirror is simple, easy to use, and it helps correct these common putting problems that plague many golfers. It fits into any golf bag and is great for instant feedback while practicing or while warming up before a round.
- The alignment mirror is lightweight. At only 4 ounces, it will not weigh down your golf bag.
- Nearly 11 inches long and 5.5 inches wide, so it does not take up much space
- It comes with a carrying bag and directions
- Provides instant feedback as to whether you are lined up to putt properly
- Cost-effective for any sized budget
- Builds putting confidence before a round begins
- There are 3 slots for tees on the mirror. The front 2 are to create the “putting gate” to ensure the practice of a straight back and straight through putting motion. The back slot is for you to stick a tee in to keep the mirror firmly in one place. The back slot can also be used to limit your putting backstroke.
- Not legal to use during an official golf match
- The mirror tends to scratch easily, so be careful to not set your putter on it
- Could be damaged in the heat so remember not to leave it in your golf bag
9. Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par 3 Putting Green
This putting green offers golfers the opportunity to practice their putting stroke from any location. Unlike other putt training aids, this one offers 3 separate holes for the golfers to fire away at.
This putting green offers golfers the opportunity to practice their putting stroke from any location. Unlike other putt training aids, this one offers 3 separate holes for the golfers to fire away at. The slots around the back of the holes act as “sandtraps” that help keep your missed putts from sliding off the mat.
- 3 practice holes instead of 1
- Can be transported easily at only 3.5 pounds
- The kidney shape provides a cool look
- Size is 9 foot by 3 foot
- Enables putting practice anytime and anywhere
- Made in the USA out of a PET resin material that is supposedly durable
- Rolls up easily, which makes it easy to store in a closet or garage
- Sometimes the mat can be wrinkled during the shipping process
- There is no carrying case included with your purchase
- Some golfers have said the holes are not cut deep enough
- There is no automatic ball return feature like other products offer
How do I know which golf training aid to buy?
Not to give a politically correct answer, but “it depends.” What area of your golf game would you consider to be your biggest weakness? If it is putting (like myself GRRRRR), consider investing in a durable putting practice mat and a putting alignment tool like the ones we mentioned in the above portion of this article.
Having trouble taming your wicked slice or painful duck hook? Look into purchasing a couple of the many alignment tools on the market today or maybe even one of the more expensive swing trainers available. Whatever product you choose to invest your hard-earned money in, give it an honest shot at helping you improve as a golfer.
Which of these 9 golf training products provide the most value?
While each product on our list provides a fair amount of value to golfers, you cannot beat the old, reliable alignment sticks. Think about it. A fundamentally sound golf swing starts with a proper setup. If value is what you are looking for, you will love the low price of alignment sticks.
How can a golfer possibly hit their target if they do not know if they are lined up correctly? Also, alignment sticks provide a huge amount of value, whether you are a rookie player or a 50-year golf veteran. Heck, most PGA Tour pros can be spotted on the range hitting balls while utilizing alignment sticks.
Are golf training aids or private lessons the better option?
This question all depends on how much time and money you want to invest in your golf game. Are you a young high school age player that may want to aim for a college scholarship? If so, then investing in BOTH training aids and private lessons would be advantageous.
Private lessons with a teaching professional can be on the expensive side. However, sometimes there is no substitute for having an extra set of eyes that can easily pinpoint your swing flaws. If you are just getting started in this wonderful game, consider investing in three to five lessons with a pro to learn the golf swing’s basic mechanics. Most teaching pros will offer their lessons at a discounted rate if you buy them in a package deal.
If golf is just a hobby of yours and strictly a means of social entertainment and stress relief, then some of the more cost-effective training aids may be the better option. If you are on a tight budget, consider opting for the Flatballs and the basic alignment sticks.
Wrapping it Up and Heading to the Clubhouse
We have reviewed 9 of the most popular golf training aids on the market today. Each of these products has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. Also, each one of these products has a different price tag.
The best thing to do is think about where your overall golf game is currently and ask yourself how much you want to improve. Put a percentage on it. For example, if you are a +20 handicap golfer and want to improve by 20%, your new goal is to shave 4 strokes and become a +16 handicap. A former golf coach of mine said that it does not exist if a goal is not in writing. So, when it comes to improving your golf game, decide on your goal, write it down, and work your butt off to achieve it.
Want to invest in one or many of these golf training aids? That’s great! Want to invest in lessons with a teaching pro? That’s great too!
However, please remember the old saying, “Nothing will work if you won’t.” There are no quick fixes out there! There is no magic bullet to a fantastic, smooth, powerful golf swing! Playing this challenging game at a high level only comes through countless hours of practice time.
Thanks for reading and until next time, keep on swinging!