If you want to travel to play the best golf courses in the world, you’ll want a golf travel bag. This is a bag that will protect your golf clubs as you bring them with you on trips. They are safe to go on planes, trains, in cars, on boats, and other modes of transportation. It won’t matter if you have a stand bag, carry bag, or cart bag, as travel bags are meant to fit all kinds of golf bags. To get the most out of your golf obsession, you need to invest in a proper golf travel bag. If you’re new to golf or need a golf travel bag for your first golf trip, check out some of the best options below.
Best Golf Travel Bags of 2021
Before you head out on your trip, you should take a look at the seven bags that we’ve highlighted below. They will get your clubs to and from your destinations safely and allow you to enjoy golf all over the world.
- Callaway OGIO Alpha Travel Cover (Best Overall)
- Himal Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag (Best Value)
- SKB Deluxe Standard Ata Golf Travel Case (Best for Planes)
- Samsonite Golf Hard Sided Travel Cover Case
- Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian
- OutdoorMaster Padded Golf Club Travel Bag with Wheels
- CaddyDaddy Constrictor Padded Golf Travel Bag Cover
1. Callaway OGIO Alpha Travel Cover (Best Overall)
- Protection: External and internal compression straps to reduce club movement. Dense foam around club heads for added protection and structure.
- Durable 900D polyester body fabric. Skid plate for abrasion protection.
- Organization: Generously sized to fit all cart and stand golf bags. Easy-load D-shaped opening.
- Front zippered pocket with internal separation for shoes and apparel. Clear contact card holder.
For the comfort and durability you’re looking for, this is a strong option for any serious traveler. It has soft sides, which allows it to fit in well with other luggage as you’re traveling. It also lets you put more items into it if you’ve filled up your suitcase and need some extra room. It measures 51” x 12” x 14”, so it will fit most bags and clubs that are 48” in length. This is made from durable 900D polyester body fabric so that it can take some knocks, and your clubs and valuables will be unaffected.
There is dense foam around the club heads to keep the protection and structure sturdy. You’ll also see a skid plate that is there for abrasion protection. This fits both carts and stand bags, so you won’t have to worry about which one you have. It’s effortless to load this up, as there is a D-shaped opening. You’ll be able to keep your items secured with the interior and exterior compression straps that will wrap up your items and keep them still. There are two additional organizational spaces, including a front zippered pocket with internal separation for your shoes and apparel. This will easily stand upright, and it has wheels for you to navigate airports, train stations, and more easily. The handles are comfortable to hold.
2. Himal Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag (Best Value)
- Made of premium 600D heavy duty polyester oxford, tough enough to protect your golf clubs during travel.
- Universal size 15 x 13 x 50 inches fits all the needs of everyday life. Enough space to hold your clubs, keys, shoes and so on.
- Advanced smooth zipper design can be used for several times. The quality wheels make your trip more comfortable and convenient.
- The golf bag travel case itself comes with soft cushion and carrying handles. The velcro carrying handle is particularly useful to help carry the golf club travel bag whether at airport or station.
- Himal provides a true satisfaction guarantee and don’t hesitate to contact us if there is any problem.
In terms of bang for your buck, you won’t find a better option. This is also a soft-sided travel bag that is made of premium 600D, heavy-duty polyester oxford fabric. It’s enough to protect your clubs while you’re heading to the next course. This has a universal size of 50” x 13” x 15” and has enough space to hold your clubs, keys, shoes, and a few other items. What sets this bag apart for its price is how well the wheels move. The wheel system glides effortlessly and will change direction with you rather easily, so you don’t have to lug them around and keep K-turning in the airport to go around people.
This also has soft Velcro carrying handles that are cushioned and comfortable to pick up. The top handle is strong and stable, which is helpful when you’re wheeling the bag. This has an advanced, smooth zipper design that can be utilized in different ways. Himal also provides a customer satisfaction guarantee, so you can contact them if you aren’t happy with your purchase in any way. There are rubber supports that keep the entire bag sturdy. From a price perspective, this checks a lot of boxes for you.
3. SKB Deluxe Standard Ata Golf Travel Case (Best for Planes)
- TRAVEL CASE: Keep your golf club safe when traveling with a case that is contoured to fit cart bags, carry bags, and drivers up to 48 inches
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Molded from ultra-high, molecular weight polyethylene and is made to prevent dirt, dust, and moisture from getting in the case
- TSA LOCKING SYSTEM: Comes with TSA Locking System for ease of airline travel and provides a sense of relief when flying
- SECURE LATCHES: New, patent-pending industrial strength latches for superior valence closure and overall latch security
- SPECIFICATIONS: Lightweight case is designed with a curved handle and wheels for easy transportation; Carton Dimensions (L x W x D): 52 x 13 x 16 inches; Interior Dimensions (L x W x D): 48 x 14 x 11 inches; Weight: 15.71 pounds
Built with travel in mind, this is the bag that you want if you’re taking your clubs and flying with them. It’s an incredibly durable case molded from ultra-high, molecular weight polyethylene and is made to prevent dirt, dust, and moisture from getting in. This is a hard-sided case contoured to fit cart bags, stand bags, or carry bags up to 48 inches. It features a TSA locking system to make it easy during airline travel. You won’t have to worry about your clubs potentially getting damaged when you’re using this.
It has new, patent-pending, industrial-strength latches that provide superior valence closure and overall latch security. This will lock and stay closed until you open it. Despite having all of these strong locking features, it only weighs 15.71 pounds on its own. It has a curved handle and wheels that allow you to transport it more easily. The case measures 52” x 13” x 16” and is backed by SKB’s Million Mile Guarantee, so it’ll last a long time. Plus, purchasing this includes SKB’s $1,500 club coverage.
4. Samsonite Golf Hard Sided Travel Cover Case
- The lightweight and durable solid ABS Shell shields your golf bag and clubs from the wear and tear of air travel
- Features a padded quilted interior with extra foam cushioning on top to protect club heads
- 4 multi-directional spinner wheels and 2 in-line skate wheels allows the case to be pushed or pulled
- Internal compression straps secure the golf bag inside the case
- Accommodates larger 10.5" top golf bags with longer, 48" clubs
If you have a golf bag that is wider on the top, this could be the pick for you. It is designed to fit golf bags that are as wide as 10.5” at the top and as long as 48”. This provides a solid and durable ABS shell to keep your clubs and bag safe. This is a great option for all kinds of travel, as it is built to go through wear and tear and come out the other side. This has four multi-directional spinner wheels and two in-line skate wheels to allow you to push or pull the bag through the airport, train, or bus station, and more places.
The inside has a quilted interior with extra foam cushioning at the top to protect the heads of your clubs. This has internal compression straps that secure the golf bag to the inside of the case, so it won’t be loose and move around inside the case. This will help guarantee that your clubs will remain inside of your bag. This is available in two colors, black, and titanium, and features a red interior. It measures 54” x 16” x 12” and features two comfortable handles that make gripping and carrying it simpler. The zipper pulls interlock for an added level of security.
5. Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian
- Leg mechanism is extended and retracted in one easy motion
- No more kneeling on the ground to load/unload your golf bag
- Heavy-duty, two-way zippers run the full length of the bag for easy loading
- Legs retract into the molded tray for travel
- Reinforced in wear areas - Fabric: Ballistic-style Nylon
You won’t find an easier travel bag to wheel around. This is an ideal bag for older golfers or those who struggle carrying their bag from place to place. It has a leg mechanism with wheels in the middle of the bag that retract and extend in one easy motion. There are wheels embedded into the bottom, making it look like your bag is on a pull cart. It props the bag up, so loading things into your bag or taking them out requires less movement on your part. You no longer have to take a knee to get items out. The legs retract into the molded tray for travel purposes.
It features heavy, two-way zippers that run the entire length of the bag to make loading and unloading easier. It is softer on the outside but is reinforced in typical wear areas, and the fabric is made from ballistic-style nylon. The interior dimensions are 52” x 14” x 14,” and there are two pockets that you’ll have access to from the outside. There are internal straps that secure your bag while it’s in transit.
6. OutdoorMaster Padded Golf Club Travel Bag with Wheels
- Extra Protection - Unique OTS system covers the entire golf travel case with 2x thickened cushion layer and 900D oxford wear resistance and waterproof material, extra proteion of golf club brassie during transportation.
- Smooth Rolling & Tough Wheel - Featured with optimized in-line skate wheel and premium rubber base securing long-lasting and unobstructed carrying experience.
- However You Prefer to Carry it - The golf club travel bag was design to meet different conditions by adding shoulder strap, multiple handles and separated bag for golf shoes. Easy to carry the bag at shuttle, bus station.
- Easy to Fill - Ideal 54" (138 CM) length and rommy design for full set golf clubs, cart bag , extra secure and stable with two fixing straps.
- Foldable Design with Convenient Open - Bullet Shape and foldable for easy storage and carry and U-shape wide open zipper system for easy open & Close
If you’re looking for a solid bag for a favorable price, this is a top contender. This allows you to carry it and move it in whichever fashion you prefer. You can wheel this around, thanks to the optimized in-line skating wheel and a premium rubber base that make it last a long time if you’re weaving through crowds. It also comes with an added shoulder strap and multiple handles, so you’ll be able to lift this from your car with ease and even carry it over your shoulder. A unique OTS system covers the entire bag, and it is made from 900D oxford fabric. It is waterproof and wear-resistant for extended durability.
It has double the cushion layers to give your club heads extra protection. There is a separate space for golf shoes on either side of the bag, so you don’t have to toss those in with the clubs. This is 54” in length, making it extra roomy, and there are stabilizing straps to hold items in place. You can put an ID card in the assigned slot to have it returned to you if you lose the bag. You can store this easily when you aren’t using it as it is bullet-shaped and folds without much hassle. The U-shaped zippers provide an open and close system that’s convenient.
7. CaddyDaddy Constrictor Padded Golf Travel Bag Cover
- Constrictor golf travel bag + North Pole golf club protector (protects longest clubs inside travel cover)
- 1 year full bag & club protector replacement warranty - covers any damage caused by airlines
- Internal & External Compression Straps Keep Clubs Secure – Heavily padded top & inline skate wheels
- Top of the Line 1800D Fabric Construction (3 x the Thickness of 600D Fabric) – lockable zippers (TSA locks not included)
- North Pole club protector composed of premium aluminum and ABS plastic materials – full adjustable up to 52” in length
Worried about your expensive driver when you’re traveling? This is the bag for you. This has a North Pole golf club protector that safeguards drivers and woods from sudden impact at the top of the bag. If you prefer the feel of a soft-sided bag and the flexibility but want top-level protection, you’ll find it here. The protector weighs only 1.2 pounds, so it’s not adding much heft to your bag. This features a heavily padded top and in-line wheels for easier maneuverability. You’ll also enjoy the internal and external compression straps to keep your items rigid.
It is made from 1800D fabric construction that is top of the line and lockable zippers, although TSA locks are not included. It also comes with a one-year, full bag and club protector replacement warranty, so if something should happen to your clubs in the first year by an airline, your clubs will be covered. There are handles on the top and bottom of the bag to help you move it around.
Features to Consider
Most bags you find these days will have wheels, but you’re going to want ones built to last. You’ve likely seen someone struggling with their busted luggage in an airport before. That’s why travel bags with in-line skate wheels are so popular. They are more protected and roll easily. You’ll be able to find some options that have multi-directional wheels, so you can push or pull your bag while you’re transporting it. More than anything, you want a bag that will tilt with ease and let you roll it without being a hassle to weave through people at an airport potentially.
It makes a lot of sense to get a bag that has interior straps. This will help you keep your bag and clubs in place while you’re moving around. Once you check your bag at an airport, you don’t know exactly where it goes. One of the PGA’s tips for traveling with your clubs is to book direct flights, so fewer people are handling your clubs. With interior straps, you’ll at least guarantee on your part that the items inside are secure. This also allows you to add more items, such as apparel, on top of your clubs and not have them squished by a loose bag.
Obviously, you want a bag that is going to fit into your budget. But you also need to consider how frequently you’re going to be using it. If you and your buddies take golf trips frequently, a nicer travel bag is likely the way to go. If you travel every once in a while, you may not need the more up-to-date option. Newer models tend to have more space and even more pockets. They also likely have thicker fabric if it’s a soft-sided case—gauge, which will be right for your lifestyle.
Should You Get a Hard-sided or a Soft-sided Bag?
There are merits to both options, and they both have to do with your preferred traveling style. For those taking longer flights and want that added protection, a hard bag is a smarter bet. Hard bags do tend to be heavier, though, so if you’re trying to meet a weight limit without paying an overage fee, you need to keep that in mind.
The hard bag will not give you the flexibility to add more to your bag, while a soft bag, like a duffel bag, can expand to fit more items. The soft-sided bag may not provide the same amount of protection on longer trips, but you’re more likely to find ones that can fit all kinds of golf bags. The pocket storage is greater in soft bags, so you’ll be able to keep your shoes and other apparel in the pockets rather than inside.
Almost all hard-sided bags will have wheels, while you’re going to find it easier to carry a soft-sided bag by the handles if needed. Which one is better for you depends on your preferred travel method.
Wrapping It Up and Heading to the Clubhouse
A golf travel bag is a must for anybody taking a trip. If you’re traveling by plane, bus, or train and bringing your clubs just once with you, you need a travel bag. They come in either hard-sided or soft-sided options and, depending on the size of your bag, and how you’re traveling, either one could be right for you. Remember to pack your bag and secure your clubs while keeping the weight limits in mind. You’ll be able to play golf all over the world with the help of a travel bag.