You only get one chance to get the right start in the game of golf. Making sure that you have the proper equipment to get started is a critical step. For golfers who don’t have the right set of clubs, playing golf can be frustrating and even cause you to quit the game. The best thing you can do is set yourself up with equipment that will help you succeed.
I have tried several sets for beginners and tried to narrow down the best choices out there. As you probably have seen, there are dozens of options, but they are certainly not all of equal quality. Here are some of the best on the market across several different price ranges.
Best Overall: Callaway Golf Men’s Strata Complete Set
- The Strata 12 piece set is designed for maximum performance right out of the box; The set includes: Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Hybrid, 6 - 9 Iron, PW, Putter, Stand Bag and 2 Head covers
- Woods: Lightweight 460cc forged driver that has a large sweet spot, a titanium head, and provides more forgiveness to help you hit it farther off the tee. An oversized 3 wood is forgiving with a more aerodynamic head shape for long, high flying shots
- Hybrid: A 5 Hybrid is a great alternative to difficult long irons that gives you more confidence on a variety of shots
- Irons/Wedge: Stainless steel irons (6 9 irons, PW) offer a great combination of forgiveness and control
- Putter: A mallet putter with alignment to help give you incredible accuracy
The Callaway Golf Men’s Strata Complete Set is the best overall choice for a beginner. Even if you are new to the game of golf, you have probably heard about the Callaway brand. Callaway makes some impressive equipment geared at getting players more distance and forgiveness than ever before. With this 12 piece set, you will be well on your way to becoming a great golfer.
The set comes with a driver, three wood, five hybrid 6-9 iron, PW, putter, and stand bag. They also throw in two headcovers for the driver and three wood. For a new golfer, this is more than enough equipment to learn the basics of the game.
Although you will not get the top-of-the-line A.I. technology that you see with the Callaway Mavrik or Epic brands, these clubs are designed to be aerodynamic and have plenty of launch and distance. For the price, you will have a hard time finding a better beginner set than the Callaway Strata.
- Large 460cc driver with a massive sweet spot
- Low center of gravity on all irons to help with higher launch
- Good set makeup for a new player
- May need to add in a sand wedge at some point
Best On A Budget: RAM Golf Accubar Golf Right Hand Clubs Set – Graphite Shafted Woods and Stainless Steel Irons
- PREMIUM GOLF CLUB SET - 12 piece golf set with high quality golf clubs and deluxe matching stand bag
- 460cc DRIVER - 10.5° loft with oversized head. Matching headcover included. 100% graphite shaft. 3 WOOD Matching headcover included. 100% graphite shaft.
- HYBRID (24°) - Versatile club replaces the longer irons. Fitted with steel shaft. IRONS - 6-7-8-9-Pitching Wedge. 5 stainless steel irons with cavity back design. Reg flex steel shaft.
- PUTTER - Mallet style putter helps with stability and alignment. DELUXE STAND BAG - Bag with plenty of storage pockets, dual shoulder straps and auto pop out legs.
Some beginner golfers know that they will spend lots of time on the golf course, which will be their brand new hobby. However, others are unsure about the time commitment and whether or not they are ready for all that golf entails. If you are unsure if this will be your sport, go for the better value golf clubs.
With the Ram Golf Accubar, you will get a perfect beginner set makeup with plenty of forgiving technology. This set comes with a driver, three wood, a hybrid 6-PW, and a golf bag. All of the irons are going to feature a steel shaft in a mid or regular flex. The woods and hybrids are graphite.
One thing that makes this set stand out from the rest is the lightweight feel and durability. Ram has been in the game for a long time, and they know how to make a set of clubs that performs well and holds up over time.
- Golf bag has dual shoulder straps perfect for walking the course
- Very fair pricing
- Regular flex steel shafts in the irons
- Mallet style putter to help beginners learn distance control
Best For Senior: Cobra Golf 2021 Men’s Fly XL Complete Set Cart Bag
- Driver-A titanium driver (105 in Reg flex and 115 in Senior Flex) has an oversized shape and heel-biased weighting for longer and straighter drives
- Fairway-3-wood and 5-wood feature a shallow profile and heel-biased weighting for accuracy and distance off the tee and from the fairway
- Hybrids-4-hybrid and 5-hybrid creates perfect gapping between the fairways and irons for longer approach shots into greens
- Irons-The irons (6-PW, SW) have a traditional cavity back design and perimeter weighting for effortless launch and distance
- Irons-The irons (6-PW, SW) have a traditional cavity back design and perimeter weighting for effortless launch and distance
Seniors tend to pick up the game of golf at a very fast rate because of the time they have to learn the game. Cobra has always been one of the best brands for senior golfers. The Cobra Men’s Fly XL Complete Set is a perfect choice for the senior who knows they will invest some time into the game.
This set is a bit more expensive than some other options on the market, but the technology is impressive and stands out as being different from others on the market. The Cobra Fly XL comes with a Driver, three wood, five wood, four hybrid, five hybrid 6-PW, SW, Putter, and an excellent golf bag. As you can see, this is also a complete set of clubs.
One of the most important things for a senior golfer is an oversized head, slightly offset irons, and technology that will help with launch and distance. This Fly XL Complete Set is a perfect option to consider.
- Has all the technology that a senior golfer needs
- It comes with two woods, two hybrids, and two wedges
- Graphite shafts in the senior set
- Low center of gravity for higher launch conditions
Best Premium: RBZ Speedlite Complete 13-Piece Set
- Driver: A lightweight 460cc titanium head features advanced aerodynamic shaping for faster swing speeds and is aided by an ultralight 50g RBZ shaft. Has a high MOI head design with Speed Pocket flexibility deliver optimal launch and enhanced forgiveness.
- Fairway: Lightweight 180cc clubhead. Low CG encourages higher launch. Speed Pocket provides more face flex & greater performance on shots struck low on the face. Rescue: Versatile sole design for high launching shots. Lightweight construction.
- Irons: Advanced perimeter weighting designed for added forgiveness; concentrated mass near sole of the club creates lower CG for higher launch. The multi-function sole geometry provides added playability from various lies and smooth turf interaction.
- Wedge: High-volume grooves for improved spin & control. C-grind sole to navigate variety of conditions. Putter: High-stability mallet features patented Pure Roll. Multi-alignment technology allows for aim w/topline, sight dot, or cutaway channel.
- Bag: Taking inspiration from the racing world, this lightweight cart bag is the essence of speed & style. Featuring 8 pockets, including an insulated cooling pouch, 14-way top and structured base, it’s a combination of functionality and clean aesthetics.
The TaylorMade RBZ Speedlite Complete is a brand new option in 2021. One of the things I noticed in 2020 is that more beginners were coming to the game, and companies could not keep up with the demand from these players. As a result, TaylorMade finally put together a really impressive set of clubs for 2021.
This is a beginner set, but it also will work for you for many years. Even as your game improves, you can still use the technology and equipment that the RBZ Speedlite comes with. There is a 460cc titanium driver with a very high MOI and some impressive TaylorMade Speed Pocket technology.
In addition, you are also going to get three wood, five wood, five hybrid, four hybrid 6-PW, SW, and putter. This is an exact set makeup built for the beginner player. With all the impressive technology in the RBZ Speedlite, the wedges stand out as some of the best. The high-volume grooves offer a lot of spin and teach new players how important it is to control the ball around the green.
- Great looking golf bag with premium pockets and organization
- Higher launch and low center of gravity when compared to other sets
- Lightweight golf clubs designed for lots of ball speed
- Speed Pocket technology, same as in the high-end TaylorMade clubs
Best For Faster Swing Speed: Wilson Profile Platinum
- Wilson profile Platinum men's complete set features the industry’s finest materials with Wilson's unparalleled engineering
- Includes 10 clubs: Driver, 5 Wood, 5 Hybrid, 6-SW, Putter
- Driver features a durable black PVD finish looks great while reducing glare
- Performance technology and lightweight components are combined to deliver tremendous distance off the tee
- Easy to hit hybrid with tip reinforced graphite shaft creates a large sweet spot for improved distance
Many of the beginner golf sets on the market are designed for the slower swinging player. However, many new golfers have quite a bit of power and speed in their games. If this describes you, then the Wilson Profile Platinum could be a great choice.
This set comes with a driver, five wood, five hybrid, 6,-SW, and a putter. Although the clubs are lightweight and helpful for players that need distance, they are also a bit more stable than other beginner sets. Unfortunately, what happens to many fast swing speed players is they end up breaking clubs in the beginner set.
In this set, the hybrids help golfers get tremendous distance and control of those longer shots into the greens. The great thing about the Wilson Profile Platinum is that it will last even when you become a mid handicapper.
- Large sweet spot
- Very well built clubs designed for slightly faster swing speeds
- It comes with SW and Putter built for a new player
- The driver comes with a PVD finish for reduction of glare
Best For Teen Beginner: Wilson Teen Profile SGI Complete Golf Set – Teen, Right Hand, Black/Yellow
- Included Components: PROFILE SGI TEEN COMPLETE GOLF CLUB SET - CARRY
The Wilson Teen Profile SGI Complete Golf Set is the perfect choice for a beginner teen golfer. The teen golfer needs a set that is a good mix of adult clubs and junior clubs. Clubs built for adults are typically for those that are about 5’7” and taller. Most teens need something just a bit shorter but not as short as junior golfs.
These Wilson Profile Teen SGI Complete are the perfect option for the player that is 63 to 68 inches in height. The set comes with a driver, five wood, five hybrid 6-PW, SW, and putter. In addition, each club is built with technology that will help increase launch and forgiveness.
The irons are cavity-back-style irons to allow for better playability even when hitting out of the rough. For teen golfers trying to decide if golf is a game for them, the Wilson Profile SGI Complete is a great choice.
- Great set makeup for a teen golfer
- Clubs are about one inch shorter than a men’s standard length club
- High launching irons
- The large sweet spot on driver for extra distance
What Things to Consider When Buying a Golf Club Set For Beginners?
With all of the golf club choices on the market, it can be tough to narrow down the right one. However, there are a few things that you must consider to ensure that you pick the right golf club set. These factors are critical and will help you narrow down your overall choices.
If you noticed, each set on our list of the best golf club sets for beginners has a unique set makeup. The set makeup will vary depending on the price and the brand of the clubs. Of course, you can always add clubs to a set, but there are a few must-haves in a bag.
Obviously, the driver is a necessary club, but it also makes sense to have both a fairway wood and a hybrid as well. Having the diversity in the set will help ensure that you can hit shots out of any lie.
In addition, a mix of irons and wedges is also crucial. Many beginner sets come with just a pitching wedge, but it’s a smart idea to add a sand wedge as well.
To help keep costs down in beginner golf sets, most will have graphite shafts in the driver, woods and hybrids, and steel shafts in the irons. This tends to be a good set makeup for the majority of golfers. However, senior players very often play better when all of the clubs are graphite.
It’s essential to pay close attention to the putter and wedges that come with a beginner set. As a new player, you will have to spend a great deal of your time focusing on the short game and how to lower your scoring.
Ensuring you have a good variety of wedges and a putter that you can rely on is essential for making sure you can stick with the game long term.
Most beginner sets start around $300 and go up over $1000. Only invest money in a better set if you think you will stick with the game long term. Many people will save money and buy a decent beginner set; in a few years, if they still love the game, they sell it and put the money towards a complete custom set.
When shopping for beginner golf sets, there are a few keywords to look out for. Here are a few of the top worlds that will give you an idea that the clubs will be very forgiving.
- Low center of gravity
- Large sweet spot
- Offset clubhead
- Draw bias design
- Perimeter weighted
- Lightweight shaft
Frequently Asked Questions
Beginners tend to have lots of questions about golf. This is completely understandable, considering how overwhelming the game of golf can be. Here are a few of the questions I get asked most often about beginner club sets.
How Much is a Decent Set of Golf Clubs?
A decent set of golf clubs is going to cost $500 or more. Some golfers with slower clubhead speed can purchase cheaper sets that are made with lower-quality materials. The slower clubhead speeds have a much lower chance of breaking a golf club made with lower-quality materials.
The most significant difference between the decent clubs and the clubs that are not as great is the feel. The decent clubs will have minimal vibration at impact, and they have a pure feel. Therefore, investing in decent golf clubs usually means you will have to purchase clubs much less often as well.
How Much Should You Spend on Your First Set of Golf Clubs?
Golfers should prepare to spend around $500 for their first set of golf clubs. If you are very serious about the game and plan on spending quite a bit of time dedicated to the sport, it may make sense to pay $1000 or so.
I like to tell golfers to think not just about the next year or so on the golf course but the next five years. If you enjoy the sport and start playing it often, it makes sense to purchase the better set right from the start.
What’s Included In A Full Golf Club Set?
A full golf club set will come with a mix of clubs, a golf bag, and typically a few headcovers. Most of the time, a set will have a driver, a fairway wood, a hybrid, a few irons, a wedge, and a putter.
The USGA rules of golf state that golfers can only carry 14 clubs in their bag. Beginner golfers should not worry about this rule because they are not going to need this many clubs. Beginners are more than fine to use about 10 or 12 clubs.
When you first start playing the game, the distances that your golf shots go will not be all that different. Therefore it is essential to get a variety of clubs built with beginner distance and forgiveness in mind.
Should A Beginner Get Fitted For Golf Clubs?
A beginner golfer that falls outside the standard height range may want to consider getting fitted for golf clubs. If you are very tall or short, the standard length beginner sets will not be the best choice for you.
Outside of this group of people, most beginner golfers will not need a custom fitting for a set of clubs. In addition, when you go for a custom fitting, the recommended clubs are going to be priced quite a bit higher than a beginner set.
The best thing to do is to play with a beginner set for a few years; then, when your golf game is more established, you can go for a fitting to determine the proper golf club set for your needs. At this point, you will have a better understanding of your strengths and weaknesses.
Hopefully, you now have a better idea as to which sets are going to be the best for beginners. The Callaway Strata stands out as the best overall option. This set is high performing, well priced, and can give any beginner the start in the game that they deserve. It’s hard to make that initial investment into golf equipment. The pricing is high, and it can feel like a big leap. However, millions of players out there will tell you it’s a step you will be happy you took.